Monday, June 17, 2013

Shalom!


Hello from the Middle East! I just wanted to start this blog post out by extending a more-than-words-could-ever-say thank you to our friends and families for supporting us, praying for us, and loving us during this month! We had a very busy week after our Dead Sea adventure! My placement is at the Bethlehem Bible College- which of last week- is different from the other two girls who are now both at Musalaha. Bethlehem Bible College is a very small, newer, Arab version of Westmont. I love my days at the Bible College. I do- what I can mostly categorize as- Communications work. I love the friendships I am starting to make with some of the people at the Bible College and the routine I am getting into. It has been such a blessing to witness the incredible things that this college is doing in the Holy Land.
            Monday night, we were invited over to a friend’s house for a BBQ. I was pretty excited because I had to miss the first one from being sick, but I think this one made up for it. Our house father’s uncle hosted it and toasted at the beginning of the meal by reciting basically the doctrine behind Westmont’s Ring by Spring.  That was awesome. The rest of the night was filled with us having 3+ servings, lots of laughter, and the children climbing on me like a jungle gym.
            On Tuesday, Cory taught her first English class all on her own! I am a proud friend!!! She has about ten 20-30 year old students. I would like to say on her behalf- it’s hard to teach an old dog new tricks. The next day, we all traveled into the Old City after work to hang out at a friend named Shadia’s house. The entire Musalaha team along with the three of us and the Canadians sat on her beautiful, Christmas light lit roof which over looked the entire Old City, The Dome of the Rock and Mount of Olives. What a blessing it is to laugh and share stories all night with new friends! On our way out of the city, we walked through the Old City light show- which I can confidently say is a partial reenactment of the Disney’s Haunted Mansion.
            On Thursday, we had our last lecture from Salim at Musalaha on “History & Narrative of the Land”. I am so thankful for the time that Salim has taken out of his busy schedule to speak on these topics he is passionate about. I think it’s so important for us here to soak in everything that we hear, from both sides, through (okay bear with me) a Jesus-like-cheese-cloth. If that doesn’t make sense, just hold on…In Matthew 22:36 a Pharisee (a lawyer to be specific enough and OF COURSE it’s the lawyer that speaks…) asks Jesus, “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” Jesus responded by saying, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all you mind. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
            I’m realizing how long this blog post is and I’m sorry. If you need to take a bathroom break or grab some popcorn, right now would be a good time.







            On Friday, I was at the Bible College and two of our Canadian friends (Matt & Dave), picked me up from work. We walked the wall that separates Palestine from Israel in Bethlehem. Being an Art Major, I was pretty excited about a lot of the political street art on the wall and we made a stop at the Banksy Store. The boys had a final stop in mind and it was the home of a woman named Claire. Claire has a very unique story. She is a very creative, funny, mother of four. Claire is a Christian. In 2000, Israel started to build the wall, which would separate Palestine from Israel. 2000 was also, and not only, the same year that Claire’s home began to become swallowed on three sides by this huge wall, but the terror began in her family. Late at night, Israeli soldiers would come to her door. If they sent her husband, he would be shot. It was too dangerous to send her children. She was always the one sent to open the door. They would barricade her children, with guns, in one room and her and the rest of her family in another. I sat for two hours and listened to Claire’s stories. My heart was not only furious, but also weeping. I have realized that learning more about the conflict will never become easier. Claire’s story reminded me of the verses in 2 Corinthians 4:7-12. Paul writes, “But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies. For we who live are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh. So death is at work in us, but life in you.” Claire’s hope is not found in anything else but the promise of Jesus’ life given over to us. What a beautiful and humble expression of a love for Christ.
            We had to say goodbye to most of our friends from Canada on Friday! What a sad experience. After our week, we got to travel to Tel Aviv. We met a new friend named Mariel and stayed with her in Hetzilya. Saturday, the four of us walked around Jaffa Port and saw St. Peter’s church and where the prophet Jonah was swallowed by a whale! Sunday morning, we took a short walk to the beach. Okay, I am a California girl to the core, and will always love the Pacific Ocean. You always have your first love, but sometimes the second is even better. I am head over heels in love with the Mediterranean Sea. I might have left my heart there, so it’s just necessary I go back to get it soon. I’m sorry to have kept you reading for so long and hopefully you stuck around to this part. We are getting very excited to be home, sharing our stories with all of you. Thank you for being beautiful blessings in our lives. We love love love you all!
View from Shadia's roof
We decided it was okay to give them just a little more of a confidence boost.
The Old City (Western Wall) on a Friday night.
The lookout point above St. Peter's church.
In my element.
I was really happy about that watermelon icee in my hand.


Love,

Ry

No comments:

Post a Comment